The house and outbuildings date from 1750. The owners wanted the aesthetic of the renovated main house to apply to the landscape improvements. The design program for the landscape included a new entry drive and arrival court, rain gardens to collect water from the main house, and a vegetable garden.
The original design approach aimed to keep all of the character-defining features of the landscape including the root cellar mound, a handful of scattered boulders, numerous stonewalls, signature trees, and the rolling topography.
Over the years, the numerous outbuildings have been re-purposed as guest quarters, studios, and other domestic rather than farm uses. Retaining linkages between these structures was also an important part of the program.
Photos by Allen Russ
fieldstone, black locust, cedar
Potomac Valley Builders, Chapel Valley Landscape
2014 Merit Award, American Society of Landscape Architects, Maryland Chapter
2009 - 2012 / 73 Acres
Copyright 2019. All rights reserved.